TU Wien:Optimization in Transport and Logistics VU (Hiermann, Ritzinger)
- LVA-LeiterIn: Hiermann Gerhard, Ritzinger Ulrike Maria
- ECTS: 3
- LVA 186190 im TISS
- Wird im Sommersemester/Wintersemester angeboten
- Wahlfach für das Masterstudium Software Engineering & Internet Computing (937)
- Mattermost: Channel "optimization-in-transport-and-logistics" Team invite & account creation link Mattermost-Infos
- Classical Vehicle Routing Problem (Construction, Insertion and Metaheuristics)
- Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows (Construction, Insertion and Metaheuristics)
- Dynamic Stochastic VRP
- Electric Vehicle Routing Problem
- Exact Methods
- Efficient Methods
Weekly lecture for about 1,5 hours where the current topic gets presented, ten in total. Some examples are presented on the whiteboard and students copy them. Discussion or questions always welcome and can be a little bit interactive. Addionally two presentation slots for the programming exercises and one slot for the homework. Oral exam at the end, can be done individually.
Programming skills for the exercises and some basic algorithm knowledge.
Pretty o.k. not the best but definately not the worst on the TU. The examples help to understand how some algorithms work and freshen the lecture a little bit up.
One home work paper which has to be presented on the whiteboard (not everybody got selected) and it is actually not that hard and there are not completely strict rules it also got into a little bit of a discussion how certain decisions at certain steps influenced the outcome. Even not completely right solutions were accepted. Two programming exercises (can be done in pairs of two), first one to create the construction heuristic and the second one to create the metaheuristic. Programminglanguage, frameworks, libraries can be chosen at will. Results need to be sent via e-mail as .csv file for a course comparision who got the best results (does not affect the grade). No code needs to be submitted or presented.
The exam is oral and took around 50 Minutes.
Three mandatory questions and if the grade is not clear a fourth question has to be answered. The questsions start broad and become more and more detailed. Also was I tested if I comprehended the things really or if they were merely learned for the sake of the exam. From every big chapter there is one question: VRP (capacitated, time windows), Exact methods (cutting pane, truncated cutting, branch & bound/cut/price) and Efficient (data structures, route store, caches, searches). All in all is it pretty detailed knowlege one has to have (all the mathematical formulas are irrelevant). As for preparation it is advisable to summarize the slides and then learn for a couple of days.
Dauer der Zeugnisausstellung[Bearbeiten]
Pretty much the 3 ECTS. One day for the home work, two days per person for the programming exercise.
- Start early enough with the programming exercise, some people started to late and did not finish in time for the presentations.
- Choose a language you are already familiar with, the algorithmik challenges are at some point enough challenge without worrying about some language feature not working.
- Pair up.
Verbesserungsvorschläge / Kritik[Bearbeiten]