TU Wien:Communication and Media Theories VU (Steinhardt)
|replaces||Grundlagen der Kommunikations- und Medientheorie VO (Steinhardt)|
|Department||Visual Computing and Human-Centered Technology|
|Links||tiss:187333 , Mattermost-Channel|
|Master Media and Human-Centered Computing||Pflichtmodul Theories of Media|
This course was previously held in German. A lot of information (in German) can be found at TU_Wien:Gesellschaftswissenschaftliche_Grundlagen_der_Informatik_VU_(Steinhardt).
The course consists of mandatory lectures, group work during lecture sessions, assignments, portfolio, and exams about the course and portfolio.
The focus of the course lies in communication and media. The course deals with following topics:
- Foundations of human communication
- Models of communication
- Signs and its usage
- Language / communication and social structure / society
- Technical communication and digital media
- Traditional mass media
- Media theories
- Media and social change
- Media: usage and practice
Update SS 17
- Sign in via TISS
- Visit VU! -> previously it was a VO -> now VU -> Mandatory attendance!
- During the VU there are group works where you do small tasks. They will be submitted and graded.
- Over the semester, there are four assignments - to be done as homework. (each around 1000 words)
- 2 exams at the end of semester (exam about portfolio and lecture part)
- When learning for the exams, it is recommended to learn in groups of 2 or three, so you can explain the materials to each other
The slides are available on TUWEL.
Comments and discussion in class are welcome, but may contribute to Prof. Steinhardt needing an extra session towards the end of the semester to cover all topics.
The lecture is actually quite interesting, but the topics are presented sometimes in a very lengthy manner by Prof. Steinhardt. On the other hand, this lengthiness is helpful, because I always can easily remember the content of the lecture while working through the notes, and (hopefully) I can build up an understanding of the material very quickly. If Prof. Steinhardt were quicker in the lectures, it would not be that easy for me to learn.
The interesting part of the lecture ist also, that Prof. Steinhardt likes to respond to the questions of students extensively. Therefore, I would really recommend to visit the lectures. Although the lectures are once a week for 1 1/2 hours (sometimes it was also too much for me ...)
The lectures are definitely not tiring, because Prof. Steinhardt always gives interesting and very appropriate examples to a given topic in the lecture. In comparison to the slides, the slides were written in a more complex language which makes it difficult to understand and content and relationships.
- Written exam at the of the semester
- Don't miss out the registration for the exam (in SS 2007 the registration period was set to 1 week instead of 2 weeks according to the regulations 
- Level of difficulty is on the same level as the exams of Gesellschaftswissenschaftliche Grundlagen der Informatik VU (Steinhardt)
- Multiple-Choice test, textual questions, structure is the same as Gesellschaftswissenschaftliche Grundlagen der Informatik VU (Steinhardt)
- Tip: Read the questions and answers precisely. There is in most cases enough time.
Dauer der Zeugnisausstellung
SS 2007: Exam on 25.06.2007, Certificate on 21.07.2007 (almost 4 weeks)
SS 2018: Exam on 26.06.2018, Results in TUWEL was registered on 07.07.2018, Certificate on 16.07.2018
1- 2 days learning, if you visit the lectures; otherwise it would take a bit longer. Understanding is helpful and can shorten the time.
I would say at least two days because of the scope of materials. --klausi 14:47, 24. Jul. 2007 (CEST)
Ausländische Studenten müssen sich mehr darum kümmern.
SS2018 - I would rather say 3-4 days for the exams of lecture part and 1 day for the portfolio exam. The slides for the lecture part is significantly more.
A script was offered at the end of the semester (however, 2-3 days before the exam) It is not necessary in order to pass the exam. Price in SS05: 5 €, SS14 6 €.
SS18/SS19: No scrip. Only slides in TUWEL.
Wo gibts Mitschriften, Skripten, Folien...
- In SS2007 Christoph R. was so kind and created accurate notes of the lecture. A big thank you at this point! Die transcripts can be found Materialien. (Remark SS18: The notes is good for slides 1-4. Slide 5 is not included.)
- Materials is also available on MTB-Projekt
- Gedächtnisprotokoll der GKM-Prüfung im SoSe18
- There are some overlappings in content with Gesellschaftswissenschaftliche Grundlagen der Informatik VU (Steinhardt)
Verbesserungsvorschläge / Kritik