TU Wien:Discrete Mathematics VO (Gittenberger)
- Discrete Mathematics UE (Pfannerer-Mittas) (TU Wien, 0 Resources)
- Discrete Mathematics UE (Stufler) (TU Wien, 0 Resources)
- Discrete Mathematics UE (diverse) (TU Wien, 11 Resources)
- Discrete Mathematics VO (Drmota) (TU Wien, 0 Resources)
- Discrete Mathematics VO (Gittenberger) (TU Wien, 8 Resources)
- Discrete Mathematics VO (Rubey) (TU Wien, 0 Resources)
|Lecturers||Bernhard Gittenberger• Michael Wallner|
|Alias||Discrete Mathematics (en)|
|Department||Diskrete Mathematik und Geometrie|
|Mattermost||Register • Mattermost-Infos•|
|Master Logic and Computation||Pflichtmodul Discrete Mathematics|
|Master Technische Informatik||Pflichtmodul Discrete Mathematics|
The first part of the lecture is about Graph theory and goes from simpler (Kruskal, Dijstra, ...) to more advanced topics (Max-Flow).
The second part is about combinatorics using basic counting principles and generating functions.
- Graph Theory: Trees, Forests, Matroids, Algorithms, Graph classes, Bipartite Graphs, Graph colorings
- Higher Combinatorics: Counting Principles, Generating functions, combinatorial constructions, Combinatorics on posets
- Number Theory: Divisibility and Factorization, Residue Classes, Euler-Fermat theorem, RSA
- Polynomials over Finite Fields: Rings, Fields, Finite Fields, Applications
Lecture twice a week, weekly excercise (extra course)
Algebra & Discrete Mathematik from Bachelor
WS 2020/2021: Lecture by Prof. Drmota. He put videos on TUWEL and also offered question hours via Zoom. Lecture goes along with the Discrete Mathematics UE (by Stufler) very well. Answers to questions by mail or in the question hour were very friendly & helpful.
WS 2020/2021: Separate UE by Prof Stufler
WS 2020/2021: Written + oral part. Written was on February 5th. Notification that we should register for the oral exam on February 15. Oral Exams were then on February 19, 22, 23 and March 1st and 2nd. Drmota tells you the points for the written part and final grade during the oral exam.
Drmota gives nice hints during the exam.
Dauer der Zeugnisausstellung
WS 2020/2021: 16 lecture videos of more or less 2 hours length.
Not sure if this is because of a curriculum change, but it looks like Diskrete_Mathematik_für_Informatik_VO_(Drmota) https://vowi.fsinf.at/wiki/TU_Wien:Diskrete_Mathematik_f%C3%BCr_Informatik_VO_(Drmota) has some old exams.
Prof. Drmota recommended by mail the book "Analytic Combinatorics" http://algo.inria.fr/flajolet/Publications/AnaCombi/anacombi.html for the topic Generating Functions and mentioned that for number theory and fields there are really many books available.
I found Contemporary Abstract Algebra by Joseph A. Gallian a good addition: https://people.clas.ufl.edu/cmcyr/files/Abstract-Algebra-Text_Gallian-e8.pdf
OpenMathbooks has some explanations about Generating Functions: http://discrete.openmathbooks.org/dmoi2/section-27.html
Analysis of Algorithms about Generating Functions has a nice summary: https://aofa.cs.princeton.edu/30gf/
Generating functions was the hardest topic for me, and it seemed like many students felt the same.
Verbesserungsvorschläge / Kritik